Lettering dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lettering dilemma

How do you compensate for this "lettering" problem? In several of the block fonts in my Design Shop, the peaks at the top of Ms and Ns come out taller than every other letter. Iam sure it must be in the pull comp somewhere, but I have tried Locked XY, unlocked with different combinatins of % and Pts for X and Y. Can't seem to get the right combination.

If I needed to comp. for this in when using "Lettering" I usually just select the Letter individually and then reduce its height just a bit about two or three threads worth (3 to 9 points) then center the letter vertically in the line of letters and that solved the problem.

You can select individual letters by selecting the lettering then clicking on the x on it then pull down the top center black square just a bit then raise it off the base line by holding the ctrl key and moving the x on the letter.
    [email protected]
    Jerome in Minnesota
    (320)259-1151

Comment

Thanks Greenwing, I have used that tip successfully before. This time however, it is only on the "Pointed" junctions of the N or M - is does not occur on the last vertical column as it comes to the end.

Comment

Then you can select the letter and right click and choose wire frame editing and move the points the will efect the area you want to correct.
        [email protected]
        Jerome in Minnesota
        (320)259-1151

Comment

Oaky, thanks. I thought there might be an "easier" way for me, but I will give it a go.!

Comment

FWIW, I had this same issue. Since I didn't like the fatness of the lettering anyway, I adjusted the pull comp to 120%. The letters came out fatter and they were all the same height.
            _ _________________ _ <br />Lawson Poling<br />Awesome Lawson\'s House of Stitch

Comment

I've had good luck with the pull comp for Block set to 120%. But that was on ball caps. Now I'm doing a knit polo with the above font setting and I'm back to square one; having the same issue that twinsmom2 described. Fortunately the polo is for me and not a customer. I'm flabbergasted. Thousands of dollars spent on this Melco Bravo and it embroiders Melco fonts like ****. I don't mind learning new techniques but I am spending a huge amount of time just trying to get decent looking keyboard results. I'm happy to send a pic of my issue if anyone is interested to take a look. Thanks!
              _ _________________ _ <br />Lawson Poling<br />Awesome Lawson\'s House of Stitch

Comment

It is possible your letters on the polo needs a different kind of backing. The cap is much sturdier than the polo. It may not be the font at all but the backing, maybe two layers with solvy on top.
                Wishes In Stitches Embroidery<br />4502 W. Buffalo Street<br />Chandler, Arizona 85226<br />480-216-3163

Comment

It is worth a try. I've already committed the shirt to be the proving grounds for the others. I didn't really want a red one anyway. Now that you mention it, I have a polo shirt that is embroidered on one of the sleeve cuffs by someone else and it looks very nice. When I examined it, it had three layers of backing. I think you bring good advice to the table! Thank you!

Comment

I stitch Melco fonts on knit polos and use 2 layers of No Show Mesh cross-hatched. If it is a pique or one of the new slick stretchy fabrics, I use a layer of Solvy on the top. I hate the look of people using too much or too stiff a backing and you can see the outline of it through the shirt. I use something as soft and lightweight as the shirt or garment I am stitching on and have great success. Be VERY careful when hooping the garment that it is taut but not stretched. Hooping is critical on knit and I would try Solvy too.
                    Sharon
                    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Another thought, have you gone into your fonts sheets and read to see what fabrics the font is best suited for and minimum and maximum sizes?
                      Sharon

Comment

No show mesh cross hatched. Who'da thunk it? Not me, I'm NEW to this! I'll try two layers of backing; I have two weights to choose from, and I'll do the Solvy. That's all I have to work with for now.
                        Yes, I do go into the font sheets and see what nuggets of information are in there. The Block font I'm using has a minimum height of .30", which is what the font is set to in DesignShop. I thought maybe that since that font is at its minimum tolerance that maybe I should switch to something that has a minimum of .25 just so it has some room to breathe. I found a block looking font in the Font Guide called Arial Dak with a minimum height of .25, but it isn't listed in my fonts. What a tease!

Comment

If you don't have the light weight mesh backing, try using a layer of tearaway and a layer of medium weight cutaway underneath. Solvy on top.
                          Sharon

Comment

I'm tinkering with it as we speak. I have the Block font at .30" and the pull comp to 140. Auto Density, Auto everything else. Two backings and a solvy. Set to Lightweight Knit in DS. It is looking much better. I think, too, that if I use slightly contrasting thread colors instead of something like white thread on this red top, that some of the imperfections will be less noticable. I'm happier than I was last night. Next time before I get all bent I'll just reach out to you fine folks!

Comment

Does anyone know where I can buy keyboard fonts for embroidery? I looked around last night but did't have much luck. I'm inexperienced enough to not be real comfortable any font at it's extreme limits, especially if it is the smaller limit. I don't have any good block type fonts that have a minimum size of .25" that I can ramp up to .30". Phsycologically I'm more comfortable with that. However more experience will likely break me of that thought, unless you all happen to agree with it!

Comment

Working...
                              X