Adding on to house for business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding on to house for business

Hello everyone...I am new to this forum for about two weeks now...I have learned many things and hope to continue learning...Sharon helped me with a question I had...thanks Sharon...I have another request or question...this may be long but please bear with me...we plan on adding on to our house in the spring so we can move the business out of my house...I have an idea of what all I need in the room and maybe how it should be arranged but my question is if anyone has done this and has tips for us I would appreciate it...I know I need sections for the machine(s)(in the future)... need a wrapping station, sink area,ironing area (don't laugh), I have a regular Singer sewing machine I want to leave setup at all times also...a desk and computer for the business and also another one near the machine...I might add that we have commerical storage racks we purchased two years ago from a store at the mall going out of business for our merchandise etc. and they are wonderful...sorry this is so long but any suggestions would be such a help to us when I start drawing up my plans after the Holidays...thanks and until next time...
    Jenny<br />Westbrook Wonders<br />Wetumpka, AL 36093<br />334-567-3867<br />[email protected]

Only thing I can think of is adding a bathroom is you plan on hiring employees so they are roaming through your house.
    If you plan on having customers visit, add a showroom with a counter or some other way to seperate the work area and showroom (You don't want customers wondering in the work area.)
    You may want to think about a dressing room as well so people can try on the shirts.
    Slatwall is nice to have on the walls so you hang hoops, backing, thread, and the rest of your supplies.
    Also make sure you have plenty of lighting. Fluorescent Lights are cheap and bright.

Comment

Hi Jenny,
      I definitely agree with the bathroom. If you can do it, I would also recommend a separate building with covered access to your house. (That helps with those long commutes to work.)Consider security and business insurance; also plan for office space. Printers, credit card machines, computers, office supplies... they take up a lot of room. You may add a cutter and a heat press in the future, so plan on expansion.

I have a 22'x22' building with the sewing and ironing areas that you mention. It currently has no bathroom and no separate office space. We are planning a 13'x22' addition to address these issues. It's amazing how much space you need.
      Welcome to the group.
      Mary
      Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

I am just about done with a 20'x40' building, and I put a 8'x20' storage area and with the front of the building being 10' ceilings that make quite a bit more shelving. I also am putting a bathroom in which I am puting a washer and drier in. I also built this building so that I can add on whenever the need may arise. So, I would say, make sure you have a big enough storage area, and make sure you will be able to eaily add on if you need, if anything, for when you expand your business, and you will.
        Richard Meier<br />Meier Custom Embroidery<br />Limon,CO

Comment

We're cramped for space and no possibility for expanding, period. The Amaya is in half the front office-can just barely walk around.
          The main concern I'd tell you to allow for is INCOMING freight deliveries-UPS, etc.
          If you get shirt orders in large quantities (we do for screenprinting-at times 12 or more cases) those boxes eat up a TON of room.
          So if you have the option to make your 'entry' (office, showroom, whatever) big enough-leave some area (I'd say 4' x 6') for a big shipment to get stacked in so you can still move around!

Comment

You all here have given some really good advice. I would have never thought of all this stuff. Thanks a bunch!

Carolyn
            You Gotta Love It!<br /><a href=\"http://www.elegant-embroidery.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.elegant-embroidery.com</a>

Comment

Working...
            X