Flexfit hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexfit hats

Looking for help with these hats. My logo is circular with arced lettering top and bottom. I am sewing on Big Red with CCF. Needle 75/11 needle depth up 2 clicks. Slowed speed to 550. Have tried with backing and without, raised needle plate gives me lots of broken needles. The middle of the logo sews fine. It s the lettering top and bottom that seems to get caught on something or move and distorts. Logo is 2.3 tall. Have tried making it a little smaller and a little bigger same problem.
    Any ideas?

Yes.....Number 1, if you are using the "raised needle plate" you need to run the presserfoot all the way up and then down 2 clicks. If you are not using the "raised needle plate" then have it all the way down and or possibly up 1 or 2 clicks.

Number 2, you did not say what kind of cap you are trying to sew this on. Low profile, unsupported, supported, high profile, trucker style, 6 panel, 5 panel...etc, etc...

Number 3, What kind of backing and how much are you using ?

Number 4, The design at 2.3 in tall would require you to sew it as close to the brim of the cap as possible to help prevent distortion at the crown of the cap, but then because of the arced lettering at the bottom of the design and if it is a 6 panel with a center seam and if it is a flex fit style and if it is small lettering....lots of ifs here, then expect distortion problems.

I still have a Big Red. The flat topped sewing arm is notorious for hanging up on the center seam inside of certain cap styles. Also if the backing is not long enough or wide enough or if two layers are not used on the unsupported style of caps, the corners of the flat topped sewing arm will hook up on the seams and also "push" up and "push out" the crown of the cap further distorting the design or lettering at the crown of the cap on a tall design...the lower the profile of the cap the more the problem will compound itself...

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Whoops...see now that the header pointed at Flex Fit hats....sorry about over looking that..

Flex Fits are more difficult because of the heavy build up around the bill seam with the elastic material and their stiffness in general. I am not surprised that with top and bottom arced lettering and the 2.3 overall height of the design, you are having issues....
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Thanks Any ideas? Other than changing the logo. HaHa I have tried with one sheet of heavy backing and also without it still messes up . I get about 1 out of 3 hats that are good.

Comment

Flex Fit cap help

Try 2 layers of backing and heating the cap either with a cap press or rub your hand to generate some heat. The heat helps relax the buckram. Good Luck.
          Dorothy Compton, Owner<br />Bee Embroidered<br /><a href=\"http://www.BeeEmbroidered.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.BeeEmbroidered.com</a><br />(916) 635-7467

Comment

Get yourself a small steamer ($20 @ Bed Bath and Beyond) Steaming the buckram and the center seam really helps.

Comment

I just ran a dozen of those caps. Lots of needle breaks. Even tried an 80 sharp. Still broke. Slowed machine down an down and down. At 300 spm it was working without major problem. If anyone wants these caps again, the price goes way up!
              David Sklar<br />Ballyhoo!<br />Arlington, VA <br /><a href=\"http://www.ballyhoostore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ballyhoostore.com</a>

Comment

Working...
              X